Picking The Right Digital Agency In A World Of Delusion
They sound like cautionary folk tales, but agency horror stories are very real and happening more frequently. Expensive, pushy and gimmicky – it’s like they’re speaking another language, using technical terms to create a veil of confusion and ambiguity. More interested with winning industry awards and attending VIP events than achieving impactful results like conversions and sales, it’s no wonder digital agency’s get such a bad rap!
Some would argue; the benefits of working with an agency outweigh or balance all the negatives. They do bring a fresh perspective and new ideas, a qualified team of technical and campaign experts with all the right skills and knowledge, and access to the latest tools. However, after more than 20 years in the business, we know the difference to achieving real marketing and business success comes down to taking a strategic, consultative approach and working in partnership!
So, here are five things to look out for if you’re looking to engage a digital or full -service agency:
1. Beware of aggressive contract closers – it should be a relationship, not a transaction. Choose a digital agency who engages with you as humans and business partners, not just meal tickets or contracts. A good agency will spend the time in the early stages to connect and understand your personal and business challenges, goals and needs before talking contract and terms.
2. Seek to Understand - we’ve all heard nightmare stories about digital agencies that bamboozle and pull the wool over a business owner/manager’s eyes. Avoid agencies who overly use industry or technical jargon. Remember, it is the agencies responsibility to help YOU understand the digital activities you are paying for and to communicate in simple clear language.
3. Strategy first - Digital marketing must serve the total marketing and business strategy - not be a singular or standalone activity. Many digital agencies are only focussed on the digital channel - the latest trends, the new Google and Facebook features and tips, and how to out-manoeuvre their own competition. It’s critical to create and design digital campaigns which support your overall marketing strategies, address specific challenges and goals, and achieve real results whilst also strengthening the business and brand.
4. Think long-term - In a world full of instant gratification, quick fixes and fear of commitment, it’s important to commence all engagements with a long-term vision. Find and select an agency who you can envisage developing a respectful and trusting partnerships with for the long haul. We start many off our client relationships by writing a three-year marketing plan.
5. Make it Measurable – Every dollar counts in small business. Digital marketing like all other forms of marketing must deliver a return. It’s important to hold your digital partner accountable and properly measure performance. A good agency will create digital metrics which are aligned to your business objectives. Be sure to hold regular review sessions and find time to also review your campaign performance in between.
Working with everyone from local start-ups and SME’s to established global brands such as Nike and Bang & Olufsen, we’ve seen it all. Stay away from anyone who is solely fixated on follower numbers, reach, views and likes!
At Sentius, our clients’ success is interwoven with our own. Our five values of Strategy, Growth, Knowledge, Commitment and Balance guide everything we do because at the end of the day we exist to deliver improvement, advantage and growth to businesses and brands!
Want to learn more about how we can help grow your business online? Get in touch to claim your complimentary 60-minute strategy consult and advice session.
Ready to make the switch to a BETTER agency?
Request your free 60 min strategy consultation today, and take the first step toward real growth online.
We are a complete agency partner with a better approach
✓ Our strategy first approach means better results online
✓ We take an ethical, honest, and transparent approach to digital marketing
✓ Get the best digital expertise without the tech talk or jargon
✓ We work in partnership as an extension of your team, and no, we don't change account managers every two months
✓ We believe in growth, not lock in contracts