Conversion Rate Optimisation
Conversion rate optimisation (CRO) is a system of using analytics, user observation via heatmapping, heuristics and analysis to improve the overall experience and performance of a website.
The aim of CRO is to increase the percentage of visitors who take a desired action on the site - sales, form completions, downloads, e-mail sign ups etc. The process of optimising a website for conversions relies on analytical knowledge, strategic expertise and market knowledge to uncover the right insights and approach.
We look beyond the analytics reports and numbers, bringing our strategy knowledge and UX expertise into CRO activities, resulting in measurable results and enhanced user experience website-wide.
In order to optimise a website, it's critical to first understand baseline performance, and how users are interacting with the site. We use a combination of standard analytics tools (such as Google Analytics) and in house software to track user flow, scroll depths, create heat maps and carry out A/B testing.
We work with you to understand your concerns and devise the best approach to tracking and analysis for your website. We also look at external factors such as the market, your industry and competitors to gain further strategy insights which help understand user behaviour and the components that your users respond positively to. Based on the situation, we can even carry out user research and interviews to further understand user motivations and intent.
It is important to realise that what works for one website, may be different for another website; so we take this into consideration and treat your website and audience on their merits, while applying strategic learnings from other successful conversion rate improvements.
Conversion rate optimisation is an ongoing process that requires continual monitoring and analysis paired with strategic insight and UX expertise to effectively evaluate, strategise and optimise your website for results.
CRO Tools & Tactics
Effective conversion rate optimisation relies on the strategic selection and use of software and tools to uncover critical user insights. Some of the key tools and tactics we use during a CRO evaluation include:
- Web Analytics Tracking
- Analysis of key user experience/behaviour data: e.g. traffic behaviour, bounce rate, average time on page, exit pages
- Pages viewed per session, number and type of conversions (i.e. desired actions)
- Navigation journey - identify the most common user navigation path(s)
- Session Replay
- Create screen recordings to see exactly what visitors do on your site
- Heatmaps & click maps
- Uncover where users are clicking on the website
- Spot trends in online behaviour
- Movement tracking
- Analyse the eye movement progression of your visitors
- Scroll depth tracking
- Analyse the eye movement progression of your visitors (how far visitors progress down the page)
- Attention tracking
- Know your customers maximum and minimum attention rates
- Discover where visitors are dropping off or leaking out of the conversion funnel
- Identify what form fields assist or hurt conversion rates for forms
- A/B split testing
- Create two different versions of a page to test different messaging, colours, call to action buttons, designs, etc.
Our strategy-first approach to conversion rate optimisation
Conversion rate optimisation begins with a deep level analysis into website activity and user behaviour, to understand the current situation and create benchmarking metrics.
- Google Analytics analysis
- Recommendation of software tools to use, based on website performance and client objectives
- Implementation and configuration of additional tracking software
- Data collection and analysis
We combine the data with our strategy and UX expertise to create strategy insights and recommendations to improve website conversions. We may also carry out additional user, market and competitor research to support our recommendations.
- Data analysis and compilation of strategic insights and recommendations
- User research & interviews
- Market research
- Competitor research
Changes made to the website based on strategic recommendations. After optimisation, more data is collected and the process begins again.
- Implementation of strategy recommendations
- Design amendments
- Development to carry out website changes
- Ongoing monitoring, tracking & reporting
CRO client success
Well, the feedback is resounding. Without being prompted, the team has expressed to me that “they were inspired after leaving the Sentius office last week” and that “they cannot wait to get started” on digital marketing campaigns!
- Retail and eCommerce Client