5 Mistakes to Avoid When Selecting a Digital Agency
You’re spoiled for choice when it comes to digital agencies, with new ones cropping every day, but this can also make picking the right one confusing and challenging.
On the surface they all look similar but scratch beneath the surface and you may discover an industry that’s rife with overwhelmingly overpriced and obnoxious individuals, fuelled more by their egocentric needs than delivering results.
The good news is there are a lot of really good agency’s out there too – if you know what to look out for! Here are five of the biggest mistakes to avoid when looking to hire a digital or full -service agency like ours:
1. Seeing your agency partnership as a short-term fling - Like a one-night stand, trying new agencies might be exciting for a little while, but it will never be as satisfying and successful as a long-term partnership! Find an agency you can develop a respectful and trusting relationship with. After more than 20 years in the business, we know true success comes down to a strategic approach and working in partnership!
2. Not thinking strategically or seeing the big picture - Digital marketing must support your whole marketing and business strategy - not be a singular or standalone activity. It’s important to design digital campaigns which address specific business challenges and goals, achieve real results and strengthening the business and brand too. At Sentius, we start many client relationships by writing a three-year marketing plan because we know that consistency is key and good things take time.
3. Signing a generic contract quickly – it should be a relationship, not a transaction. Choose a digital agency who cares and engages with you as a human and business partner, not just revenue. Avoid cookie cutter solutions and templates that don’t contain tailored information and haven’t been created specifically for your business. A good agency will take the time to understand your challenges and goals before presenting a proposal or contract and should never pressure you to sign up on the spot.
4. Being scared to ask questions or look silly - some agencies will try to bamboozle or scare you into hiring them. Avoid agencies who overly use technical jargon and remember it’s their responsibility to make sure you understand the services you’re paying for. Ask them to communicate in simple clear language and be ready to admit if you’re feeling confused or uncertain. How they respond will tell you a lot about their character and working style.
5. Not establishing real and measurable KPI’s – digital marketing must deliver a return. It’s important to hold your digital partner accountable and properly measure their performance. A good agency will set metrics that are aligned with your business objectives and will hold regular review sessions to check on your campaign performance. If something isn’t working, you’ll be able to adjust and update as needed instead of waiting until it’s too late.
Want to learn more about how we can help grow your business online? Get in touch to claim your complimentary 60-minute strategy consult and advice session.
Ready to make the switch to a BETTER agency?
Request your free 60 min strategy consultation today, and take the first step toward real growth online.
We are a complete agency partner with a better approach
✓ Our strategy first approach means better results online
✓ We take an ethical, honest, and transparent approach to digital marketing
✓ Get the best digital expertise without the tech talk or jargon
✓ We work in partnership as an extension of your team, and no, we don't change account managers every two months
✓ We believe in growth, not lock in contracts